Middle East Division
Sri Lanka’s relations with the Middle Eastern Countries have consistently remained cordial and friendly. The Indian Ocean was Arab’s gate way to South Asia centuries ago, when business between the indigenous population and visiting Arab traders was brisk and lucrative. Since Sri Lanka gaining independence in 1948, the continuation of relations between Sri Lanka and the Middle East countries have become realistic politically, especially with Sri Lanka’s active response to the major issues in the Middle East. Following are the major functions of the Division.
- Monitoring Political Developments in the Countries of the Middle East Region and preparing detailed Reports, Observations and Assessments.
- Preparation of International Courtesies namely Invitations, Felicitations, Condolence Messages and Acknowledgement of Messages on behalf of H.E. the President, Hon. Prime Minister and Hon. Minister of External Affairs and to be forwarded to leaders and counterparts in Foreign Countries.
- Preparation of Country Briefs and Speaking Notes for the information of H.E. President, Hon. Prime Minister and Hon. Minister of External Affairs during the bilateral meetings, and multilateral meetings.
- Coordination of the High Level Visits, Negotiations and Finalization of the Agreements and Memorandum of Understandings in collaboration with Ministers and the Sri Lanka Missions Abroad.
- Networking with Embassies and Honorary Consulates of the Countries representing the Middle East based in Colombo.
- Coordination of Scholarships and Fellowships, awarded to Sri Lanka by Government and Agencies in the Middle East Region.
- The Division also Coordinates some aspect of Sri Lankas’ membership in the Asia Cooperation Dialogue (ACD)
- Sri Lanka established its first Residence Mission in Al- Mahooz, Bahrain on 8th February 2013.
- Sri Lanka re-established its Resident Mission in Baghdad, Iraq on 7th February 2013.
- Several Agreements relating to bilateral consultations, aviation, education, culture, economic commercial and technical cooperation, investment, tourism real estate were signed with several Countries of the Middle East Region including Qatar, UAE, Oman and Palestine.
This division is currently headed by Director General, Mr. Rodney Perera.
Telephone : 0094 11 2 333 296
Fax : 0094 11 2 446 091